Sunshine And CERN

OK. A couple exciting things.

First things first, as all of you Sunshine fans will have heard by now, the film is being released in the US and Canada on the 20th of July! Yes! Finally. I’m soooooo very excited. I’m hoping to be in the States then, too, so I’ll be able to go through the excitement of the release firsthand! Weeeeeeee!

Second, some of you will remember the podcast Brian did with John Barrowman recently, well, there’s a CERN Podcast website now which will have the podcasts, photos and information about all of the podcasts they do over the coming months. The next person going out there will be author Charles Jencks and then (perhaps) Alex James. He’s also asked Charlie Brooker, Martin Amis, Stephen Fry and Daniel Radcliffe…

It’d be really helpful if all you blogger types could link to the site using just CERN in the link in order to help get it up Google’s results. Heh. Press is starting on it next week so there should be loads of people listening to the John Barrowman one (well, more than the thousands and thousands of Dr. Who fans who’ve already listened to it!)…

Comments
16 Responses to “Sunshine And CERN”
  1. Amanda says:

!! Martin Amis?! Well, I mean, the others, too, but I’ve just finished Time’s Arrow…!

Ohhhhh, ‘Time’s Arrow’. It’s genuinely one of the few books I’ve ever read that I honestly think is a work of genius. There are a lot of ‘great books’, but one had to be a madgenius to complete that book. For that book alone: Martin Amis RULES.

Exactly how much did it mess up your head, Amanda?

3. ourman says:

It’s already in Nicaragua.

I just bought it and was gutted to find, when I got it home, that it was dubbed in Spanish and was terrible quality.

Guess that serves me right for buying the pirate version but unfortunately we’re not exactly well served for multiplex’s.

4. mdo says:

I am VERY excited that Sunshine’s US opening has been moved up! Do you have any idea whether it will have a small (big cities only), medium (art houses all over the country), or large (multiplexes) distribution?

The first CERN podcast was excellent. Brian and the other CERN folks are figuring out the most fundamental truths of the universe and it blows my mind. I can’t wait for more. How I wish I were a cool famous person with an inviatation to CERN!

MDO- I believe Sunshine’s release is ‘wide’… :)

6. mdo says:

That’s great! While Sunshine is the rare film that I would make the 3.5 hour drive to NYC for, between gas, hotel, and a couple of meals, it would be a bit more costly than the $8 multiplex ticket.

7. Penny says:

I don’t think I could make a 3.5-hour drive for a movie–even if that movie is ‘Sunshine’. If I had a hat, I’d take it off to you, MDO! ;)

RE the CERN blog, I was very excited to hear that Brian et al. will be finding answers to ‘Who let the dogs out?’ and ‘Why do fools fall in love?’. Escape-proof fences and birth control for stupid people truly are advances that will reshape the world as we know it today.

The members of the LHC team have my whole-hearted support for their endeavors, and I will be happy to supply them with escaping dogs or horny fools, as needed, for these experiments. ;)

8. Vid Digger says:

This is one movie I have to see. Love the trailers!

9. Hugh says:

“top and bottom with a lot of up and down going on at the same time” ;-)

Love the podcast – duly subscribed – looking forward to more of them!

10. Penny says:

Oh, yeah, I remember that part of the podcast.. Who knew science could be so ‘sexy’…

Hot in heeeeeere…

11. Amanda says:

Time’s Arrow really messed up my head, Gia! I would read a bit and then glance up at the television if it was on and see something happening and I had to mentally rewire my brain to remember that it wasn’t in reverse and it seemed so strange that it was happening in forward motion. It’s got a ton of great quotes, too, and I really am so, so impressed by it. When you first told me about it I was a little bit skeptical, but I could seriously see everything happening as if it were a film being shown on rewind. I wouldn’t even attempt to start something like that. He is seriously awesome!

12. Phoenix says:

you might be in the states? where?
    please tell me you will be in oregon. please please please.

13. Penny says:

A US trailer for ‘Sunshine’ has been put up on The Cillian Site. I made the mistake of clicking on it and watching it. Apparantly it is available on ComingSoon.net.

I have NO IDEA *WHAT* the marketing dept for DNA films was thinking when they made this last trailer, as it is *full* of spoilers and *very* badly edited!! *Why* they even made a new trailer is beyond me, as the old ones were fantastic!

This new trailer does *not* do ‘Sunshine’ any favors!! I thought about posting the link, but I didn’t want to ruin the film for anybody else.

I still am looking forward to the movie, but I’m afraid this new trailer might turn some people off. Arggghhh!

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Amanda, *please* don’t put this clip up on Ucillian! I’m never going to that *other* fansite again. Ugh. :(

14. Amanda says:

Penny, I put a link to that piece of rubbish up on uCillian, but I made absolutely certain to forewarn everyone that it’s *obscenely* full of spoilers. I was a little shocked, myself… It is on ComingSoon.com, though. That’s where I got the link.

Penny, DNA has nothing to do with the trailers, that’s all Fox Searchlight. I agree that it’s an absolute pile of shite… but it’s not the worst one. I’ve had that one – or at least a version of it – since March. There’s another one with ‘voice over man’ saying ‘For 4 billion years the Sun has given us life…’ that is soooooooo bad you can’t even believe it.. The best trailers, in my opinion have been the ones done for the UK and Japan…

But that one was a decision by Fox in the US. And for fear of starting another argument about all of this, I have to say that *in my opinion* Hollywood seems to have no taste or style. Zero.

16. Penny says:

Hollywood certainly doesn’t.

The other site had a warning about spoilers too, but I had just woken up when I accessed the website. I was insufficiently caffeinated and too hungover at that point to heed the very mild spoiler warning and clicked on the fucking link anyway.

Screw it. I like your site better anyway, Amanda! :)

What really incensed me was that, before the extended clip, I had my husband in my back pocket RE going to see ‘Sunshine’. I had shown him the other trailer, and he was enthusiastic (for him) about seeing the movie, even though it stars Cillian Murphy (whom he doesn’t like because *I* like him). After the extended clip, he said ‘Well, I’m not going to see that!’, and we wound up having this big row about it.

The problem is that, while a great trailer can make a shit movie look halfway decent, a shit trailer can make a great movie look like crap. I’m hoping this extended clip is NOT used in theaters.

I’m glad I didn’t see the other one that you are talking about. Ugh, they need to fire some of the film editing staff over at Fox Searchlight!