Official: Redheads Have More Fun

I first coloured my hair when I was 13 years old, because I desperately wanted to be a redhead. Since then my hair has been every shade of red imaginable…

Copper:

Auburn:

Tangerine:

Tangerine 2:

Rustic Red:

Pillarbox:

Coloured red hair requires a lot of upkeep as it fades very quickly. During my ‘tangerine’ phase I was colouring my hair every two weeks. I’d go dark for a couple months in order to take a break from colouring, but invariably I end up back red.

After my ‘pillarbox’ phase 6 years ago I decided that was the end of red for me. Surely, I had more important things to focus on other than my hair, right? So… I entered the Dark Ages… and after 6 years I’ll tell you what I learned: it’s pretty damned boring as a brunette.

So, once again I’ve gone red…

I’ve completely forgotten how much attention one gets as a redhead- people are telling me how young I look, even people I’ve only just met and men are chatting me up, so much so that even my son has noticed. It’s bizarre that a hair colour can have that much effect. It’s made me decide to stay red though. Fuck that ‘intelligent brunette’ look, I’m a ‘scarlet woman’ again and proud.

Comments
12 Responses to “Official: Redheads Have More Fun”
  1. Amanda says:

I love coloring my hair so much that it’s probably a fault. I want to just do the whole thing bubble gum pink and be done with it, but apparently that isn’t “professional” enough for the movie theater business (I don’t even KNOW about that one). I used to be pretty close to burgundy, and then I’ve started doing “chocolate cherry” with black, and that’s pretty fun. I’ve never been a blonde before, though. I’m not that brave. I’m letting it just be normal for a while now, so it doesn’t decide to take revenge and strangle me in my sleep a la Porphyria’s Lover… except of its own accord rather than being handled by someone else. …anyway…

2. Penny says:

I can’t go too wild with my hair color, as I work in a pretty conservative agency. Even miniskirts are frowned upon. **roll eyes** What does Brian think?

Brian loves it! All things being equal he’d fancy the woman with bright red hair…

4. Penny says:

Well, his is the opinion that matters the most, besides your own. :) I happen to like it too, though!

I had copper-colored hair when I was a little kid, but my hair darkened as I grew older to its current mousy brown shade. I get it colored and highlighted back to the chestnut-like color I had in HS in an effort to hide all the gray.;)

5. RJ Adams says:

Ah, Gia, it was always the scarlet woman in you that truly magnetized me.

6. Suw says:

Ooh lovely! I haven’t dyed my hair in a long while because it just got to be too much trouble. Being a blonde, you really do have to keep it up, otherwise you end up with blonde roots, which is really not a great look. But seeing your pic is making me want to go red/black again, or maybe just red. Maybe I’ll do that after I’m married – going from red to blonde is bloody hard, and I can live without that in the run up to my nuptials.

7. Jas says:

HAWT.

that is all.

8. John Dodds says:

As one who always flirts with you – I wonder if the increased flirt factor is due to guys no longer seeing you (in acculturation terms) as someone who must be taken seriously (i.e. the brunette) but as having more attitude and less insecurity than the bleached blonde? Discuss!

9. Phoenix says:

i am so, so jealous of your red hair.

John, that could be it!

Phoenix, red is merely a bottle away.

11. Marysia Kay says:

Gosh I have such a thing for red headed women, dunno why. I dyed my hair red for a while but the upkeep was too difficult.

Just wandered over here via Stephen Fry’s facebook group.

Hi.

Marysia- I agree, the upkeep is v time-consuming… I’m already due for a brightening. Ugh.

Isn’t Stephen Fry excellent for going on Facebook? I love him even more now.