New Blog Design

So, after redesigning Brian’s site and after redesigning CERNPodcast, I figured I should update my site. I hope it’s working OK for everyone. Please, let me know if it’s not.

Tomorrow, Phil Plait arrives in the UK! Weeeeee! He’s coming over to visit CERN with Brian and me. We’re visiting both ATLAS and CMS and getting a close-up look at the LHC proper.

We’re doing some CERNPodcast stuff, though Phil isn’t the only one who is going to be there. Nick Graham, our favourite, favourite friend we met at TED flew in to the UK today and will be coming to Geneva with us on Friday as well. We felt we owed him something wonderful after he introduced me to Matt Groening who then drew a picture of Bart for my son AND invited Jerry Harrison from the Talking Heads to talk science with Brian at his birthday dinner. I hope CERN can go someway to making up for all that.

We’re also taking Chris Morris. Yes, that one. We’ve been trying to drag him out of his shed to go to Geneva for months now. He’s been a bit busy writing and, most recently, casting. As this is one of the very last weeks that the ‘guts’ of CERN will be open to the public, we told him it was now or never. So, he’s coming out, too.

What a strange grouping of people we will be: a physicist, a web dork, a radio producer, an astronomer, a fashion designer and a satirist… If we don’t freak out at least one person while we’re there, we’ll have failed spectacularly.

Comments
12 Responses to “New Blog Design”
  1. Jase says:

I’m jealous – though in typically geeky fashion I’m primarily jealous about the visit to the LHC rather than mixing with such a diverse yet cool bunch of people.

Dork.

;)

3. James says:

Hey, the re-design looks great. Although all this white hurts my young, non-cataracted eyes. :-D

I’ve just twigged that you’re working on the new X-files film. Oh lucky you! For a few days, I thought you just had a crush on David Duchovny; I can be a little slow on the uptake at times.

Oh btw, Brian’s site still has DOCTOR Brian Cox in the title, tut tut.

4. James says:

Tada! The comments no longer crash my browser. Woohoo!

Bloody namedropper.

But the new look …

Yum.

And … arse.

I’ve been working on a redesign of my site and it’s surprisingly similar to this so now I’m going to have to tinker to make mine look sufficiently different before I switch it live. Grrr.

6. regularjen says:

Looking good! And… (begin my nerdiness) OMG! YOU’RE WORKING ON THE X-FILES MOVIE?!

James, I’ve not really been able to *say* that I’m working on the X Files, so just decided to put up header images. Though some people following me on Twitter will have realised for the past couple months that I’ve often been Tweeting about going to watch the X Files. Been re-watching the tv series. :)

Mark, sorry. This design isn’t *my* doing. If I was half as good as design I’d prefer a section at the top that spans the two sidebars, with the two sidebars below. There’s an idea of a tinker for you to try ;)

ReguarJen, I KNOW!!!!!!!! I’m TOTALLY dorking out about it!! :)

James, re: ‘Dr’ on Brian’s site. That’s done on purpose. Basically, he’s still known by most people as Dr. Brian Cox rather than Professor and didn’t want to lose the top spot on Google. Same thing with Robert Winston, it seems. He’s actually *Baron* Winston now, though his site still says ‘Professor’… So it’s all cos of Google rankings rather than an oversight.

9. Might just be me, but I think your ‘TV Presenter’ link, top right in your ‘About’ bit is pointing to http://www.sueridermanagement.com/SRM.html, and that doesn’t happen for me. I think you want it to be http://www.sueridermanagement.co.uk/SRM.html Probably nothing to do with the new look though, which I think is ace :)

10. John Dodds says:

Congratulations on turning a multi billion euro project into you own personal social object ;o). Jelaous? Moi?

Dave, thanks for that. Changed.

12. James says:

A likely excuse! Nah, I though it was something like that, seeing how there aren’t any any other mistakes, but you never know. But why not change the title to ‘Prof. Brian Cox (formerly Dr. Brian Cox)…’ or something to that effect? [just a general question, I’m not too hot on webdesign]

On another note, Brian’s LIFT07 (video link on his site) is great stuff. Go watch all who read this; just ignore the Dare concert video, eek!