Brian Cox, Horizon: What Time Is It?

TX: December 2, BBC2, 9pm

*UPDATE* 16/11/08

The teaser is out.

NOTE: UPDATES TO THE POST ARE BELOW

Brian is off filming a new Horizon at the moment. His last one about Gravity was rather popular (thanks for watching, everyone!) and was very well received indeed. They asked him if he’d do another one. This one is about Time- humans’ concepts of it and what it actually means and, of course, relativity.

The first place they’ve been filming is in Mexico on Mayan pyramids. Here’s Brian with director, Paul Olding.

Brian Cox and Paul Olding

As you already know, the Maya ‘had very advanced concepts of mathematics, astronomy and Time.’ Hence why they are filming there. They will also be filming in Boston, Washington, D.C., San Diego and San Francisco (I think).

I was told there were ‘creepy crawlies’ in Mexico. Brian won’t cope well with that.

EDIT 06/06/08

Here’s the first behind the scenes clip.

EDIT 31/08/08

Brian explains why he wanted to do a documentary on Time.

EDIT 04/09/08

Brian explains why he wants to understand Time.

Comments
9 Responses to “Brian Cox, Horizon: What Time Is It?”
  1. chimera2_4 says:

lol, poor Brian. He’s trying to laugh through it! And have some kind of witty rapport with the other bloke! But that other guy just has no funny bone in his body does he?

2. John says:

Thet can’t be any creepier or crawlier than commissioning editors.

Chimera, I actually think the guy had a *VERY* dry sense of humour.

John, Heh. I concur.

4. James says:

*scratches head* What was wrong with Michio Kaku’s ‘Time’, shown recently on BBC4? I guess time is as big a topic as say culture, but isn’t Brian inevetably going to cover much of the same ground? Why not just run ‘Time’ again on BBC2 (partly so it receives a wider audience, partly because I can’t get BBC4 anymore) and choose a different topic all together?

It’ll be interesting to compare the two I guess.

PS-did Brian contribute to ‘Time’? I can’t quite remember.

5. James says:

Ack, can’t correct ‘all together’. Sorry for the double post (sorta), but I feel so dirty. Now I won’t be able to sleep :-(

6. Patti says:

Hi Gia

Totally fantastic clip of Brian. I thought he maintained his composure fairly well until the spiders were mentioned.

James, nope Brian’s programme won’t cover a single bit of similar ground as Michio Kaku’s Time programmes. No cross over whatsoever… :)

8. G says:

I presented the creationist story to my class, and it was met with great interest. They had a hard time grasping the “universe came from nothing” idea. Then they asked what the point of the LHC was, which I was prepared for. I gave the exmaple of how the British government was asking the discoverer of the electron the purpose of their funding, and he answered that all he knows is that the government will tax it in 20 years.

9. Pat Walton says:

Dear Giagia
    Excellent news about your Brian becoming a Professor!
    Whilst I appreciate his beautiful comments on the age of the particles of the body known as me; I would point out I’m currently having a heck of a job trying to re-arrange them with the help of a Wii fit machine. Might time be of help in this matter? Of course if I wait long enough it won’t be a problem at all will it!
    Pass me one of Brian’s crisps would you, Dear?