I Believe

One thing I’ve been finding very interesting since I started doing stuff for the X-Files is the almost obsessive need for some of the fans to not believe anything, yet neither do those ‘unbelievers’ attempt to seek out the ‘truth’. They think they’re being ‘a Scully’, when, in fact, they are merely being a ‘reverse Mulder’- they adamantly don’t want to believe. Consequently, I’ve been getting quite a lot of, shall we say, “feedback” from some people on YouTube.

I’ve been accused of perpetuating a hoax, called a fake, unprofessional, a lying sack of shit (nice), all because I did a nerdy little video of myself opening the script for the first time which they don’t think is real. I’ve done a video response, replied in the comments, written about it here, but to no avail, there are still people who react in an overly hostile way to something they don’t want to believe.

Last Thursday, I had a phonecall with Frank Spotnitz to talk about various things- the trailer, the Revelations DVD, the soundtrack, the premiere and the LA Film Festival. During the call he confirmed that I did, indeed, read the X-Files script. I’m waiting for him to approve the edit of the whole call, until then, here’s a clip of that..

Comments
9 Responses to “I Believe”
  1. Phil Plait says:

FWIW, I don’t need to “believe” you: I trust you, which to me is higher on the scale. Belief means thinking something is true without (or despite) evidence, but I have tons of evidence that you are trustworthy, honest, and doing what you say you do.

So you have my vote. Not sure if this helps or not, but there you go. :-)

2. John says:

That’s not even you on the video ;O)

But Phil, really, you’re a *scientist* which as you well know is the same thing as a freemason, so you’re part of the New World Order conspiracy which means you’re probably an alien lizard dead set on installing the anti-Christ into power and bringing about Armageddon. Why the HELL should anyone trust you?!!

Or something.

;)

John, shhhh.

4. Calraigh says:

Hahahahaha!
    I DON’T want to believe how sexy Frank Spotnitz’s accent is.That can’t be possible can it?!The very distinct fangirliness evident in this clip further proves my suspicions!This is great.I second Phil’s pseudo-freemasonry vote and say that you are indeed an individual beyond reproach.Personally, I’m all for an alien lizard overlord regime change.They have to be more trustworthy than the human lizards in charge at the mo’.At least the real lizards wear their scales on their sleeve/claw…

/scary/fangirly excited comment!

5. kellybeth7 says:

Seriously? I was aware that there were people that thought you were lying, but I was under the impression that they were mostly ridiculous people on youtube. But I just read a post (made today) by someone on an XF message board with all these “reasons” why you were faking it all. First of all, the reasons were completely lame. And second, they completely ignored other obvious reasons that prove you’re NOT lying. I just don’t understand why people are so determined to not believe you.

I, for one, have always believed you. I’m also incredibly jealous, but that’s another story. ;) I would also like to say that I love that you’re a fan doing this…it’s so much better that you’re excited about what you’re doing instead of just being someone doing their job.

Oh, and if you are faking it all…way to be convincing! ;)

6. LouLou says:

Your ethusiasm for this project is truly infectious, and no-one with half a brain cell could doubt your credibility. Keep those fantastic videos coming!!

7. Angie says:

Love your enthusiasm, Gia; and thanks for sharing your moments with the fans. We love you for it. It’s like a great cosmic huddle/hug/experience and I, for one, do believe.

Thanks, everyone!

9. Alex says:

I don’t believe you met Han Solo…that video was fake…CGI all the way…